Tuesday 26 May 2015

Review: Wild Country Zephyros 2 (Field-Tested)

Following on from my previous write-up of my new backpacking tent, Wild Country/ Terra Nova's Zephyros 2 (read it here) , I have finally managed to get out and about with it, and I can say I'm not disappointed!

The tent was even quicker to erect the second time around, and really takes no thinking about. Although smaller on paper than Coleman's Cobra 2- the tent I was replacing- the Zephyros doesn't taper down to the same degree at the foot so in some ways it feels more capacious. On the other hand, the taper at the head is a gradual one emanating from the centre of the tent, so there is less headroom when laying down which some might find a bit claustrophobic. I must say I didn't, and it was just the right size for my 6'3" length- though I wouldn't want it any smaller.

Unlike the Cobra, where I used to worry about my feet resting against the inner due to its proximity to the fly, there really is no chance of the two touching at any point such is the amount of space between them.

I was lucky enough for it to rain on the night of my trial run, and as you would expect the Zephyros held this off with ease. Not only that, but there wasn't a drop of condensation inside the inner when I woke in the morning, something which I've never managed to avoid before no matter how much I messed with the vents.

Getting it back in the bag was the usual torturous affair, but I won't hold that against what I would otherwise consider to be the best solo backpacking tent under £150*


NOTE: Its worth mentioning that the 2015 version of the Zephyros 2 has a second door.

2021 UPDATE: I have now replaced this tent with the Naturehike Mongar 2, mainly it due to it being lighter yet much more capacious. See my full review of the Mongar 2 here


*I don't consider most "one-man" tents to be tents- they're more like glorified bivvy bags- so when I say best solo tent I'm really talking about two-man tents. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment