Wednesday 15 April 2015

Review: Coleman Cobra 2

Coleman Cobra 2 two-person lightweight hiking tent


The Coleman Cobra 2 was my first solo backpacking tent. I say solo, because like most "2 man" tents you'd have to be pretty lithe and have left your gear at home to get two of you in there and have anything resembling a comfortable night's sleep. At 6'3" with broad shoulders, this is definitely a "solo" tent as far as I'm concerned.

As a man who doesn't buy anything without first reading up on the potential purchase, I knew reviews were very favorable for the Cobra 2, although its not without its downsides- we'll come to those later.

So lets start with the good points. The biggest thing the Cobra has going for it, in my view, is its internal length; at 257cm it trounces the competition, offering a good foot of extra length over many of its rivals. That it does this while still keeping the weight to a minimum (2.05kg according to Coleman, although it tipped my scales a little higher than that) is fantastic.

The tent's two "wings" give sizable porch/storage areas, with a second internal door making the opposing side accessible, and the tent can be pitched as-one (Coleman state it pitches fly first).

The supplied storage bag opens along its length rather than at one end, making the tent very easy to pack away, although this does leave it more susceptible to water ingress if you're caught in a shower (despite the flappy bit of fabric designed to cover the opening when the bag is closed).

The tent is a very stable design, which in my experience so far has stood up fine to the wind and rain, and I've always felt quite secure bedding down for the night inside.

Now for the bad points. Well, for starters its blue, and this coupled with the fact that the winged design gives the tent a very large footprint (compared to its contemporaries) means you're going to stand out like a sore thumb when pitched up on a hillside. Not ideal for a bit of discreet wild camping.

The inner seems to sit very close to the fly in places, which although hasn't created any issues so far, it does raise concerns that the two may end up touching, particularly in high winds.

The worst part though, is Coleman's rather thoughtful move of declining to provide any proper instructions. Now, I'm a bloke, and blokes don't read instructions. It's a small tent, how hard can it be?

And this is the thing. For all the times this tent has been pitched, I've never once felt satisfied that its up 100% correctly. Depending how you choose to peg it out, you either seem to have too many pegs or not enough. Once the tent is pitched, the tension on the fabric at the master pole is such that the outer door is almost impossible to zip shut from the inside. Looking at online videos doesn't seem to offer any further help, and a phone call to Coleman led to me being given the mobile phone number of their "technical expert", who neither answers his phone nor replies to voicemails. Minus one point to Coleman.
Now I'm happy to accept that I'm a complete idiot here- that its just me who can't figure it out. All I'm saying is a simple set of instructions wouldn't go amiss, and that of all my tents this is the only one where I feel I actually need to use them.

When compared to what appears to be the Cobra 2's main rival, the Vango Banshee 200, the Coleman is lighter, larger inside and cheaper, so it certainly has a lot riding in its favour, but I have to say that in terms of build quality/execution of the design* the Banshee seems to have the edge, not to mention its greater ability to blend in with the surroundings. For the taller man like myself, though, that extra length makes it worth putting up with the minor niggles, and when taking everything into consideration its impossible not to recommend it. 


2021 UPDATE: For those who have asked for alternatives in the comments section, check out the Naturehike Mongar 2 (or see my full review here). The Mongar 2 is a capacious, true two-person tent yet it weighs in at around the same as the Cobra 2. While shorter in length than the Cobra 2, the near-vertical walls of the Mongar 2 mean you can comfortably use the whole length of the tent without feeling cramped, even for the taller person like myself. It's also much easier to pitch!


Coleman Cobra 2


*In my view the Cobra's design, in concept at least, is better than the Banshee's, but it feels like the "beta version"- the first draft if you like- where as the Banshee feels a lot more "perfected". Its not one thing in particular, maybe a combination of small details, that give the Banshee a more refined feel over the Cobra.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Rob,

    Nice writeup! I've been using the Cobra 2 for about 3 years (4 solo trips a year, 3 to 5 nights a go) and have to agree, at 6 foot 5, lengthwise it was an excellent choice. Only really ever needed four pegs, two in the front and two in the back, setup in minutes, amazed many a fellow camper :). Same tension issues though.

    Been looking for a replacement though as mine has started to wear, minor tears and failing waterproofing even after treating. Do you have any suggestions, especially for the taller rambler?

    Cheers, Gijs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gijs, and sorry for the late reply (I emigrated in 2017 and the blog sat dormant for a while).

      I ended up changing to the Wild Country Zephyros 2, mostly due to weight factors. It's shorter than the Cobra but because of its different design it doesn't feel as short as it is. But no, I still haven't seen anything in this kind of price range that matches the Cobra 2 for internal length.

      Delete
  2. great review, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little review, exactly the info I was looking for (Everybody else seems to be a short arse). Megan~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the cobra 2 tent. My outer door is a struggle to zip fully shut too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review.
    I had the Cobra 2, older version, with two outer door and pitching inner first that I bought for £45 a couple of years ago. I think it's about 20 years old but in reasonable condition.I only got to use it this year doing a half a dozen wild camps. I have been looking for a brand new tent but nothing ticks the boxes for that price.
    I wanted, pitch in one, two outer doors, less than 1.5kg, green, to be able to pitch without the fly, two man, able to sit up in it, enough room to spread my kit out inside...
    Without spending a fortune it was the Banshee or the Cobra...I went for a new Cobra £70 never used from Facebook and I sold my old one for £40 so I got my brand new tent.����
    I've lost an outer door and can't pitch inner only but I can take my time setting up and taking it downin the rain now and when I find the perfect tent I will get £60 or 70 for this ��
    Without spending a fortune I could only really see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, I had no idea the Cobra had been around so long.

      Have a look at the Naturehike Mongar 2 and Cloud Up. The former meets all your criteria bar the weight, the latter all bar the two doors.
      I'm saying all - pitch in one AND pitch inner-only will always be an issue as they're two conflicting designs.

      Delete