Wednesday 22 April 2015

Gear Obsessions

Its fair to say that Bob and I, like many others, are obsessed with gear. Even if I am perfectly content with my kit, I still find myself drawn to reading reviews and browsing websites just in case there is something better out there.

Bob likes to buy the best that he can afford, where as I like to buy the best that I can justify, which is slightly different.
I could just go straight out and blow my hard-earned cash on those items percieved to be the best, but I find there's a lot more fun to be had hunting out products that perform just as well, but for less money- after all, "the best" is subjective, is it not?
As such my kit, as you'll see from my reviews, is quite literally a mixed bag. While some items really were the best that I could afford, many others were much cheaper options that belie their price tags.

Some of my gear has remained since day-one, like my rucksack. I can't see me replacing that until it falls apart, and when that happens I have a spare (well, it was on sale!). On the other hand I've lost count of how many different knives have been designated my "camping knife". This time I've got it right, I tell myself.

I've seen many an argument that an obsession with gear gets in the way of actually getting out and enjoying the outdoors. That all the expense is unnecessary.

The latter is a rather subjective statement. For a brisk walk in the country on a warm summer's day, you probably don't need to invest in much more than a decent pair of walking boots/trainers, if that. But if you're planning on climbing the side of a mountain, there's a much bigger onus on having the right gear. That doesn't have to mean expensive gear, but gear that is up to the task in hand.

And lets explore this further; hobbies themselves are by nature not a necessity. Life would be pretty dull and tedious if we only did what was necessary to survive. Its not necessary for me to take my stove on a hike, I could just as well take a flask of coffee and a sandwich. Neither is it necessary for me to take my camera. But do you know what? I happen to enjoy taking photos, and I enjoy the ritualistic pleasure of making a brew out in the open air on my stove.

As for the former, well I would agree that if anyone is sat at home internet shopping for gear rather than being outside enjoying their hobby, then yes their obsession has got in the way. But I really can't see many people fitting into this category. 

If you wanted to get philosophical on the evils of consumerism and how, by falling victim to it, you are somewhat hypocritically contributing to the slow demise of the Earth's natural resources and beauty, and spurring-on global warming, you could make a far greater argument against gear obsession than any I have read thus far. But I don't want to get philosophical; not today at least, I have a new head torch to buy.




No comments:

Post a Comment